Need-to-know messages for how to celebrate safely
Don't get burned
Taking part in destructive gatherings and burning furniture are NOT Spartan traditions. To celebrate MSU successes like a true Spartan, follow these simple guidelines and share them with your friends:
- DO NOT attend large gatherings that block the street or sidewalks.
- DO NOT start, stoke, or fuel ANY type of fire.
- DO NOT be a bystander. If someone you know is about to do something dumb, stop them.
- COOPERATE with police.
- IMMEDIATELY leave any unlawful gathering - even just observing IS participating. Better yet, don’t go in the first place.
- Anyone within 300 feet of an open fire that is not actively leaving the area faces a misdemeanor charge. This is punishable by up to 90 days in jail and a $500 fine.
- Any student who is found responsible for participating in an unlawful assembly or riot is subject to disciplinary sanctions, including suspension or expulsion from his/her school.
- These types of events are an embarrassment to our community and our university. Don’t allow your degree to be devalued.
Remember: No one is anonymous
Local news cameras, security cameras, police cameras and cell phones are everywhere. It's simple: Do not participate in a riot. Observing is participating. Be smart; don't go there.
For more information about the men's basketball NCAA berth, go to http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-baskbl/msu-m-baskbl-body.html.
*Adobe Reader (opens in new window)is required to view document.