Need-to-know messages for celebrating safely
As the Fall 2019 semester begins, we encourage you to stay safe while enjoying your home away from home:
- Travel in groups and stay with people you know and trust. Never leave a friend alone.
- Call 911 if you find a fellow Spartan in need or if you see anything suspicious.
- When traveling around campus and East Lansing, choose well-lit, highly traveled routes.
- Lock your doors when sleeping or leaving your home or residence hall room. Never leave your valuables unattended. Know everyone who you let into your apartment, house, or residence hall.
- If something does not seem safe, it probably isn’t. Trust your instincts. If you see something, say something! Text MSUPD along with your message to 274637.
- Remember: No one is anonymous anymore. Think carefully before starting or joining in any kind of disturbance. Authorities review the news, online videos, and social media.
Helping friends be safe: Watch out for one another!
- Most students choose to watch out for friends during celebratory events and make plans to get home safely.
- More than 9 out of 10 students approve of cutting off a friend who has had too much to drink.
- More than 9 out of 10 students approve of getting medical help for a friend.
- Nearly 9 out of 10 students say they would call 911 for a friend in need.
- Of those students who choose to drink during a celebration, most eat before or while drinking to help limit the negative effects of alcohol.