1. Length of Presentation 25 minutes including final quiz
2. There will be a quiz of 5 questions given out at the beginning of the presentation, with the answers given at the end. The quiz will be on a handout, with the answers written somewhere (upside down, other side, etc....)
3. Presentation should be rich in audiovisual content: e.g., video, slides, handouts. The materials can be presented in PowerPoint format with video and audio and animations, etc.
4. The presentation, including video files, can be put on a CD-ROM and distributed to fellow students.
5. While you are preparing your presentation, you are encouraged to place materials, including this Prolegomena, on the web, through our web site. This is an important part of our course, since it fosters team participation.
6. Rehearse and time your presentation. JBE will be forced to use the "HOOK" if you go over even by 1 nanosecond!
A. Generalized overview/abstract of topic of facilitated communication for autistic persons
1. Definition of PDD (Pervasive Developmental Disorders)C. Facilitated Communication
a. Autistic Disorder—2. Prevalence of various PDD’s
i. History of
ii. Accompanying characterstics
b. Asperger’s Disorder—characteristics
c. Child Disintegrated Disorder (CDD)—characteristics
d. Rett’s Disorder—characteristics
3. Diagnosis & Treatment
4. Causes and Research
a. Various studies conducted5. Effects of Autism on communication
b. Modern theories on causes and developmental abnormalities
a. Language, intonation, rhythm problems, etc.
b. Non-verbal effects
1. Definition of Facilitated Communication (How it works, who uses it)D. Benefits and Drawbacks of Facilitated Communication
2. Types of Facilitated communication devices
3. Uses of Facilitated Communication
4. Training of facilitators
5. Facilitated communication in relation to Autistic persons
1. Examples of benefits
a. Testimonials2. Drawbacks and controversy of FC—overview
a. Stance of the American Psychological Association
b. Examples of negative usesII. Conclusion
Artificial Language Lab, MSU
Autism Society of America
Ruling on FC by the APA
Overview of facilitated communication
Yale Developmental Disabilities Clinic information on PDD’s
Video about the controversy surrounding FC
Information on the Facilitated Communication Institute at Syracuse University
Autism and Communication