Skip to main content

Fees and Tuition FAQ

I'm studying off campus this semester [e.g., enrolled in study abroad, internship, extension center course, or on-line course]. Why should I have to pay the matriculation fee, FM radio tax, student government tax and The State News assessment? I won't be on campus and will not use any of this.

The Board of Trustees voted several years ago to assess a matriculation fee that, in part, pays for your access to the technology and infrastructure of the University.  For example, while you are studying off campus, you may continue to use your e-mail account, access the Internet through MSU's gateway and use the libraries' on-line databases to download electronic articles and many other tasks that assist you with your studies from a distance.

However, if you take action before the end of the first two weeks of a semester (or the first 10 class days), you can request a refund for the fees cited below.  You will be asked to provide a receipt to prove that you registered for the specific semester or summer session:

FM Radio Tax:  Before leaving campus, stop by G-4 Holden Hall in person and complete a form for your $3 refund.  If you are unable to make it to campus, you may fax a copy of your registration bill showing that you paid the tax to (517) 353-9753, attention Gary Reid, the station's general manager.  He will then initiate the refund.

ASMSU Undergraduate Tax:  Call  (517) 355-8266, extension 100 to have a form sent to you to complete for a $13 refund ($10 for ASMSU and $3 for the official MSU yearbook).

COGS Tax:  Stop by the Council of Graduate Students office in 316 Student Services Building, or send an e-mail to to request a refund ($7.25 for fall and spring semesters; $4.50 for summer sessions).  Be sure to include your address.

The State News Assessment: You may request a refund by mail, if you will not be on campus by sending a copy of your registration showing that you have been assessed the fee (Students enrolled in fewer than 6 credits do not pay this fee.) along with a copy of your student id and mailing address to Student Fee Refund, The State News, 435 E. Grand River, East Lansing, MI  48823.

Remember, you must request refunds within the first two weeks, or 10 class days, of a semester or the summer session.

Questions? Contact the University Ombudsperson