- Diplom-Physiker (M.Sc.), 1993, Universität Hannover, Germany (theoretical nuclear physics, adviser Prof. Peter U. Sauer)
- Ph.D., 1997, Michigan State University, USA (theoretical nuclear physics, adviser Prof. Wolfgang Bauer)
Currently held positions in boldface.
- since 2015, Vice President, CourseWeaver Corp.
- 2013-2015, Co-Founder and Chief Science Officer, CourseWeaver Corp.
- Summer 2013, Guest Professor, Ostfalia University of Applied Sciences, Germany
- Academic Year 2011/2012, Sabbatical: Visiting Associate Professor of Physics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- since 2011, Associate Professor of Physics (tenured), Department of Physics and Astronomy, Michigan State University
- since 2010, Associate Professor of Physics Education (tenured), Lyman-Briggs College, Michigan State University
- Summer 2006, Guest Professor, FernUniversität in Hagen, Germany
- 2004-2010, Assistant Professor of Physics Education, Lyman-Briggs College, Michigan State University
- 2004-2011, Adjunct Professor of Physics, Michigan State University
- since 2004: Co-Founder and Technology Officer, eduCog, LLC
- since 1999, Project Director, The LearningOnline Network with CAPA, Division of Science and Mathematics Education, Michigan State University
- 1997-2011, Director of Laboratory for Instructional Technology in Education, Division of Science and Mathematics Education, Michigan State University
- 1996, Intern, Cable News Network (CNN), Atlanta
- 1993-1997, Research Assistant, National Superconducting Cyclotron Laboratory, MSU