The reason I decided to put this
timeline in was to show how the market and advances for OLED technology
has greatly increased in the past years more and more. Starting
from out in the 80s as a test product the in the late 90s the market
finally started out and now in the 21st century every year there are
more advances as the months go by. Another
reason this timeline, provided by OLED-info
(link at bottom of page), was added to this site was for people who are
interested in this topic to be able to do some additional research and
some key advancements that have happened recently with OLEDs.
- - CDT gives world's first public
demonstration of Light Emitting Polymer devices
- - UDC Demonstrates Flexible Flat Panel
- - Universal Display Corporation Announces
Transparent, Flexible Organic Display Breakthrough
- - Pioneer Electronic Produces EL Display
with 260,000 Colors
- - Kodak and SANYO Electric Conclude
Comprehensive Alliance Agreement for Organic EL Displays
- - Kodak, Sanyo Show Full-Color Active Matrix
Organic Display; First Color OEL Display Increases Threat to LCD
- - Green Organic LED Shows High Efficiency
- - Ritek plans to mass produce OLED
- - Toshiba Corp. plans to produce (organic
EL) panels in 2001
- - Motorola Grants OLED Technology Rights To
Universal Display And Takes Equity Position
- - UDC and PPG Industries Form Strategic
Alliance for Development & Supply of Chemicals for OLED
- - Sanyo Electric to start mass production of
color organic EL panels in 2001
- - NEC, Samsung To Develop Organic Wireless
- - LG Electronics develops organic EL
displays for mobile gadgets
- - Sanyo partnered with Kodak for color OLED
- - Sony Develops World's Largest Full Color
OLED (13 inches diagonally with a resolution of 800x600 pixels.)
- - Universal Display Corporation and Sony
Corporation Announce Joint Development Agreement Aimed at OLED
- - Samsung Exhibits Color Organic EL LCD
Panel for Mobile Phones at CeBIT (132 by 162 pixels).
- - Toshiba Develops World's First
260,000-Color Polymer OLED.
- - RiTdisplay and Compaq sign CIM project
agreement for OLED/polymer-OLED factory.
- - eMagin's OLED Microdisplay Selected by Air
Force for F15E Aircraft.
- - Luxell's Black Layer OLED Patent
- - Sony Demonstrates 13-Inch, Full-Color OLED
- - Universal Display Corporation and Samsung
SDI Announce Key Joint Development Agreement.
- - Universal Display Reports New Red
Phosphorescent OLED Materials, Significant Power Efficiency Advances.
- - Samsung SDI Develops World's Largest
Organic Display Panel (15.1 inch).
- - RiTdisplay opens new color OLED/PLED
- - Kodak, SANYO Form Joint Venture to
Manufacture OLED Displays.
- - Universal Display Announces Advanced OLED
Manufacturing Patent Issued for OVPD Technology.
- - Samsung SDI develops 2.2-inch AM OLED for
- - Philips Announces Industry's First Volume
Shipments of Polymer-Based OLED Modules.
- - Kodak Announces Availability of Evaluation
Kit For Active-Matrix OLED Display.
- - RiTdisplay reportedly receives orders for
over one million mobile phone OLEDs.
- - AU Optronics develops world’s first OLED
prototype combining a-Si TFT LCD technology.
- - Epson, CDT form polymer OLED production
- - E-Ink, TOPPAN and Philips Demonstrate
World's First High Resolution, Active-Matrix Color Display With
- - Universal Display Awarded Two U.S.
Department Of Energy Contracts For OLEDs In General Lighting.
- - Daeyang and eMagin Announce $8 Million
- - Pioneer Supplies OLED to LG Electronics
for Cell Phones.
- - DuPont Displays and Universal Display
Corporation Form Strategic Alliance to Develop Next Generation Displays
Combining Aspects of Small Molecule and Polymer OLEDs.
- - RiTdisplay confirms receiving color OLED
orders from Motorola.
- - Philips invents EL material to generate
both red and green light.
- - Kodak, Sanyo invest in active-matrix OLED
- - Universal Display Corporation Wins Army
SBIR Contract To Focus On The Use Of Metal Foil For Flexible Displays.
- - Sanyo Unveils Mobile Phone with Organic EL
Panel Designed for KDDI, announces plans to build full-color OLED
- - RiTdisplay lands mobile phone OLED orders
from Samsung and LGE.
- - Kodak Licenses Samsung NEC Mobile Display
to Manufacture Passive-Matrix OLED Displays.
- - SNMD to Make Displays for Mobile Phones.
- - Kodak introduces the first digital camera
with an OLED screen - the Kodak EasyShare LS633.
- - AIXTRON Delivers 1st Commercially
Available OVPD R&D System to Princeton University.
- - Samsung shows Palm OS 5 smartphone; OLED
- - IDTech develops 20-inch full-color OLED
- - Luxell receives U.S. patent for Black
Layer OLED fabrication.
- - DuPont forges 'Olight' brand for emerging
- - Sony testing 24-inch OLED screen.
- - CDT Extends LEP Life to Over 11,000 Hours.
- - RiTdisplay selects AIXTRON’s OVPD
technology for OLED Display Production.
- - AUO and UDC develop 4-inch, a-Si TFT
backplane-based, red phosphorescent AMOLED.
- - Samsung NEC develops 65,000-color PM OLED
mobile phone display.
- - Sony demonstrated a 24.2-in. OLED panel.
- - ERSO and Windell develop 10-inch LTPS TFT
technology-based AM OLED display.
- - Hynix Announces Availability of 4,096
Color Organic EL Driver IC.
- - Sony to invest nine billion yen to build
OLED production line.
- - AU Optronics has showcased its 1.93"
AMOLED for Mobile Phone";.
- - Princeton electrical engineers have
invented a technique for making Organic Solar Cells that Could Lead To
Widespread Use Of Solar Power.
- - Advances Using UDC’s Phosphorescent OLED
Technology Can Provide Additional Power Efficiency Gains for White
- - Sanyo Unveils Long-Lasting QVGA Organic EL
Panel for Cell Phones.
- - Univision begins OLED production.
- - Tohoku Pioneer Corporation to Be First
Manufacturer to Use Universal Display Corporation's PHOLED Material in
a Commercial OLED Display.
- - Univision showcases 65,000-color mobile
phone OLED sub-display.
- - Epson Develops OLED Controller Chip for
- - Samsung SDI Develops Organic EL with
- - eMagin Granted Key Patent for New Class of
Higher Luminance, Higher Temperature OLED Device.
- - Univision reaches monthly capacity of
6,000 OLED substrates.
- - Casio Ventures into Organic EL Panels
Driven by Amorphous Si TFT.
- Samsung and 3M jointly developed a
new color patterning method, laser induced thermal imaging (LITI), for
fabricating full-color PLEDs.
- - Opto Tech to invest NT$4.5 billion in four
new OLED lines in 2004.
- - Kyocera Acquires International Display
Technology, a subsidiary of Taiwanese LCD manufacturer, ChiMei
- - Lightronik licenses OLED technology from
- - Philips 639 mobile phone applies PolyLED
technology in unique 'Magic Mirror' display.
- - GE Global Research Breaks Two World
Records For OLEDs As A Lighting Device. Demo Lighting Panel is Biggest
and Most Efficient Ever Created.
- - NEC drops its OLED business .
- - Chi Mei Optoelectronics Corp. (CMO) has
announced a fully functional prototype of a 20-inch full-color OLED
display - the largest Amorpheous Si TFT.
- - First-Generation Electronic Paper Display
from Philips,Sony and E Ink to Be Used in New Electronic Reading Device.
- - TI Introduces New Power Management ICS To
Enhance OLED Color Displays, White LED Backlighting .
- - Teco Optronics to invest NT$300 million to
build new PM OLED plant.
- - Fuji Photo Film, Vitex System to Join
Development of Encapsulating Organic EL Panel.
- - RiT Display ships mobile phone OLED
sub-displays to Samsung, says paper.
- - Seiko Epson Reveals 12.5-Inch Organic EL
Panel for Large TVs.
- - RiT Display shipping OLED panels to
- - TI has released an OLED display power
conversion integrated circuit.
- - Philips Demonstrates Feasibility of PLED
for TV Applications.
- - Seiko Epson unveils first 40" colour OLED
- - Universal Display Corporation Announces
Record-Breaking Power Efficiencies for its Phosphorescent White OLED
- - Taiwan's AU Begins Mass Production of
Organic EL Panels.
- - Universal Display Corporation Unveils
Groundbreaking Flexible OLED Prototype on Metallic Substrate.
- - Luxell signs OLED License agreement with
Hyundai LCD Inc.
- - DigiTimes: Fuji Electric Holdings to
produce OLED panels in 2005.
- - Samsung SDI Unveils 17-inch, 2.2-inch
Organic EL Display with High Picture Quality.
- - SEL, Others Develop Organic EL Panel for
Displaying Pictures on Both Sides.
- - Toppan to volume produce large-size OLED
- - CDT files for an IPO, estimated 40m$.
- - Samsung SDI to volume produce OLED panels
- - Sony Starts Mass Production of Organic EL
Displays, and released first a new clie PDA with a 3.8in 480 x 320 OLED
- - AU Optronics Successfully Develops World's
First Double Sided Active Matrix OLED.
- - LG.Philips develops 20-inch OLED display.
- - Japan OLED makers aggressively expanding
AM OLED capacity.
- - Competition heats up as more players enter
the OLED display market.
- - OLED displays with 50,000h operating
lifespan from URT.
- - Seiko Epson will commercialize OLED TVs by
- - CDT IPOs, lists on NASDAQ.
- - Samsung Electronics develops 21-inch OLED
for TVs, claims world's largest.
- - Samsung SDI To double the OLED output.
- - OLED Technology Poised to Become Core
Business for Daewoo Electronics.
- - MP3-player demand boosts sales of Taiwan
- - LG.Philips LCD launches AM OLED Business.
- - Sony introduces Flash based MP3 players
with OLED display.
- - Canon says to start making OLED displays
- - Samsung Licenses OLED Patents from
- - Kodak Licenses OLED Technology to Fuji
- - CDT Achieves 100,000 Hour Blue Polymer
- - Samsung Electronics Develops World's First
40-inch a-Si-based OLED.
- - Toppoly develops a 7" AMOLED display.
- - UDC announces fundamental breakthrough in
blue PHOLEDs - New sky blue achieves over 15,000 hours of lifetime.
- - Samsung SDI to invest over 850M$ in AMOLED
- - LG Electronics Launches Full-Scale OLED
- - Samsung SDI's Organic LED Display
Shipments Top 30 Million units .
- - CDT Prints a 14" P-OLED display