Peilei Fan 范蓓蕾
Associate Professor of Urban and Regional Planning
201M Human Ecology Building, 552 West Circle Drive, East Lansing, MI 48824
Direct: 517-432-6517; School: 517-432-0704; Email: fanpeile <at> msu <dot> edu; Web: www.msu.edu/~fanpeile
Adjunct Faculty, Dept. of Geography, Environment, and Spatial Sciences
Service to the academic community
Panel reviewer for proposals submitted to EPA, NASA, Fulbright, ad hoc reviewer for NSF
North America Regional Coordinator of Landscape Ecology Working Party of IUFRO (IUFRO8.01.02) (2018-)
Associate Editor for International Journal of Technology and Globalization (Inderscience, 2008-), International Journal of Business and System Research (Inderscience, 2007-15), and Journal of Science and Technology Policy Management (Emerald, 2009-16)
Š Ph.D. in Economic Development, 2003, MIT (Also with a certificate on Financial Engineering from Sloan Management School)
Š M.S. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, 2001, MIT
Š Master of City and Regional Planning, 1998, Rutgers University
Š M.S. in Geography, 1995, Nanjing University, China
Š B.S. in Computer Science, 1993, Nanjing University, China
Asian Development Bank (ADB)
Commissioned Research Paper “Innovation in China and India” for Project “The role of innovation in escaping the middle income trap”, 2015-16
Economist for ADB Project “The Urbanization-Poverty-Inequality Triangle in Asia and the Pacific”, 2014-15
Economist for ADB Project “Urbanization in Asia”, 2012
United Nations University – World Institute of Development Economics Research (UNU-WIDER)
Consultant for UNU-WIDER Project “Southern Engines of Global Growth: China, India, Brazil, and South Africa”, 2008
Interests: urbanization, environmental change, public health, innovation and economic development, international planning and development.
(1) Innovation & economic development in China, India and East Asia
(2) Urbanization and sustainability in SENA (Southeast, East, &North Asia) included countries: China, Mongolia, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Vietnam, and North Asia of Russia
(3) Urbanization and environmental change under institutional change, globalization, and historical/cultural influences: Comparative analysis of Taipei and Shanghai
Š Core Fulbright US Scholar of Cross-Strait Studies Program, Council for International Exchange of Scholar (CIES), US Department of States, 2017-2018. Fulbright Research Project: Urbanization and environmental change under institutional change, globalization, and historical/cultural influences: Comparative analysis of Taipei and Shanghai.
Recently Funded External Research
Š Principal Investigator (PI) Peilei Fan (Grant #: NNX15AD51G; Co-PI: Jiquan Chen; Collaborators: Nathan Moore, Joseph Messina, Dengsheng Lu). 2015-2018. “Urbanization and sustainability under global change and transitional economies: Synthesis from Southeast, East, and North Asia (SENA),” National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) (my portion of the grant: 40%) http://senacgc.org/ Funded: $749,683
Š Qi, Jiaguo, Hyndman, David W., Kramer, Daniel B., Pokhrel, Yadu N., Fan, Peilei, Messina, Joseph P., Zhao, Jinhua, McConnell, William J. 2017-2019. "Quantifying human and climate impacts on wetland ecosystems in the Lower Mekong River Basin," National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) (my portion of the grant: 7%)
§ Funded: $2,173,112.
Š Principal Investigator Peilei Fan (Grant #: NNX09AI32G; Co-PIs: Joseph Messina, Nathan Moore, Jianjun Ge, Peter Verburg). 2009-2013. “China's Urbanization and its Sustainability under Future Climate Change,” National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) (my portion of the grant: 45%)
§ Funded: $621,496
Š Co-Principal Investigator Peilei Fan (PI: Yifei Sun, California State University, Northridge). 2011-2014. “Workshop on Chinese Ways of Innovation: Strategic Directions of Research on Chinese Innovation,” National Science Foundation (NSF)
§ Funded: $58,188
Teaching & Advising
Š UP 801: Concepts and Issues in Planning and Development (offered in Fall 2018; required core course for Master and Ph.D. in URP)
Š UP 855: Urban Sustainability and Climate Change (offered in Fall 2018; elective course, for advanced graduate students in URP and beyond)
Š If you are a registered student of the class, you will be able to access materials related to the class through the MSU D2L Course Management System.
Š If you are a graduate student and plan to do a Ph.D. dissertation or Master thesis in my research area, please prepare a page of your ideas, your CV, and past publications, and stop by my office to have a chat. I am delighted to work with motivated, creative, and hard-working students.
Guest Editor for Journal Special Issues
Š Guest Editor for Landscape and Urban Planning (LAND)
(SI expected to be published in 2018; SI Guest Editors: Peilei Fan, Jiquan Chen, Jingle Wu)
Š Guest Editor for Ecological Indicators
(SI expected to be published in 2018; SI Guest Editors: Martina Artmann, Luis Inostroza, Peilei Fan)
Š Guest Editor for International Journal of Technology and Globalization 3(4) 2007
Š Guest Editor for International Journal of Business and Systems Research 4(5/6) 2010
Urbanization and Global Environmental Change (UGEC) Blog View Point
Critical perspectives for examining urbanization and sustainability in China (posted on Oct. 27, 2015)
Fan, Peilei. In progress. Suburbia Asia: Urban landscape and environmental changes from Siberia, Shanghai, to Saigon. Springer (under contract, expected to finish by December 2018)
Liu, Yong, Wenze Yue, Peilei Fan. Land Use Under Rapid Urbanization: Pattern, Effectiveness, and Policies. Science Press, Beijing. (forthcoming)
Referred Journal Articles (* indicate graduate student/postdoc as the first author)
1. Fan, Peilei, Zutao Ouyang, Dinh Duong Nguyen, Thi Thuy Hang Nguyen, Hogeun Park, Jiquan Chen. (Accepted). Urbanization, economic development, environmental and social changes in transitional economies: Vietnam after Doimoi. Landscape and Urban Planning (2018). IF: 4.563 (2016), 5.023 (5yrs)
2. *Ouyang, Zutao, Meimei Lin, Jiquan Chen, Peilei Fan, Qian Song, Hogeun Park. (2019). Improving Estimates of Built-up Area from Night Time Light across Globally Distributed Cities through Hierarchical Modeling. Science of the Total Environment 647, 1266-1280. IF: 4.61 (2017), 4.98 (5yrs)
3. Fan, Peilei, Jiquan Chen, Zutao Ouyang, Pavel Groisman, Tatiana Loboda, Garik Gutman, Alexander V. Prishchepov, Anna Kvashnina, Joseph Messina, Nathan Moore, Soe Myint, Jiaguo Qi. (2018). Urbanization and sustainability under transitional economies: A synthesis for Asian Russia. Environmental Research Letter 13 (2018) 095007 https://doi.org/10.1088/1748-9326/aadbf8 IF: 4.541 (2017)
4. Fan, Peilei, Wan, Guanghua, Xu, Lihua, Park, Hogeun, Xie, Yaowen, Liu, Yong, Yue, Wenze, Chen, Jiquan. (2018). Walkability in urban landscapes: A comparative study of four large cities in China. Landscape Ecology, 33(2): 323-340. doi: 10.1007/s10980-017-0602-z IF: 3.615 (2016/17) 4.111 (5yrs)
5. *Ouyang, Zutao, Peilei Fan, Jiquan Chen, Raffaele Lafortezza, Joseph P. Messina, Vincenzo Giannico, and Ranjeet John. (2018). A Bayesian approach to mapping the uncertainties of global urban lands." Landscape and Urban Planning (2018). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landurbplan.2018.07.016 IF: 4.563 (2016), 5.023 (5yrs)
6. Liu, Yong, Peilei Fan, Wenze Yue, Yan Song. (2018). Impacts of land finance on urban sprawl in China: The case of Chongqing. Land Use Policy, 72, 420-432. Doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landusepol.2018.01.004. IF: 3.089 (2016) 3.527 (5yrs)
7. Wu, Yizhou, Peilei Fan, Heyuan You. (2018). Spatial evolution of producer service sectors and its influencing factors in cities: a case study of Hangzhou, China. Sustainability. Sustainability, 10 (4), 975. https://doi.org/10.3390/su10040975 IF: 1.789 (2016), 1.850 (5yrs)
8. *Wang, Chuyuan, Soe W. Myint, Peilei Fan, Michelle Stuhlmacher, and Jiachuan Yang. (2018). The impact of urban expansion on the regional environment of Myanmar: A case study of two capital cities. Landscape Ecology 33(5), 765-782. doi: 10.1007/s10980-017-0602-z IF: 3.615 (2016/17) 4.111 (5yrs)
9. *Zhang, Linlin, Wenze Yue, Yong Liu, Peilei Fan, Yehua Wei. (2018). Suburban industrial land development in transitional China: Spatial restructuring and determinants. Cities 78, 96-107. IF: 2.449 (2016) 2.797 (5yrs)
10. Lu, Dengsheng, Longwei Li, Guiying Li, Peilei Fan, Zutao Ouyang, Emillio Moran. (2018). Examining spatial patterns and driving forces of urban expansion in Asian metropoles. Remote Sensing. doi: 10.3390/rs10071101. IF: 3.244 (2016/17).
11. Groisman, Pavel Ya, Olga N. Bulygina, Geoffrey Henebry, Nina A. Speranskaya, Alexander Shiklomanov, Yizhao Chen, Nadezhda M. Tchebakova, Elena Parfenova, Natalia Tilinina, Olga Zolina, Ambroise Dufour, Jiquan Chen, Ranjeet John, Peilei Fan, Csaba Matyas, Irina Yesserkepova, and Ildan Kaipov. (2018) Dry land belt of Northern Eurasia: Contemporary environmental changes and their consequences. Environmental Research Letters (2018). https://doi.org/10.1088/1748-9326/aae43c IF: 4.541 (2017)
12. Fan, Peilei, Xu, Lihua, Yue, Wenze, Chen, Jiquan. (2017). Access of public green space in an urban periphery: the case of Shanghai. Landscape and Urban Planning 165, 177-192. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.landurbplan.2016.11.007. IF: 4.563 (2016), 5.023 (5yrs)
13. Fan, Peilei, Ouyang Zutao, Basnou, Corina, Pino Joan, Park, Hogeun, Chen, Jiquan. (2017). Nature-based solutions for urban landscapes under post-industrialization and globalization: Barcelona versus Shanghai. Environmental Research 156, 282-283. doi: 10.1016/j.envres.2017.03.043 IF: 3.835 (2016), 4.315 (5yrs)
14. Fan, Peilei, Chen, Jiquan, Ouyang Zutao. (2017). Urbanization in Siberia: A Satellite View. All Russia Economic Journal 2017(7), 20-33 (In Russian). Фан П., Чен Дж., Уанг З (2017). Урбанизация в Сибири. Взгляд со спутника// ЭКО. - 2017. - № 7. - С. 20-33. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.30680/ECO0131-7652-2017-7-20-33
15. *Park, Hoguen, Fan, Peilei, John, Ranjeet, & Chen, Jiquan. (2017). Urbanization on the Mongolian Plateau after economic reform: Changes and causes. Applied Geography, 86 , 118-127. IF: 2.687 (2016), 3.401 (5yrs)
16. *Li, Xue, Messina, Joseph P., Moore, Nathan J., Fan, Peilei, & Shortridge, Ashton M. (2017). MODIS land cover uncertainty in regional climate simulations. Climate Dynamics, 1-13. doi:10.1007/s00382-017-3563-7. IF: 4.146 (2016/7)
17. Liu, Yong, Yue, Wenze, Fan, Peilei, Zhang, Zhengtao, & Huang, Jingnan. (2017). Assessing the urban environmental quality of mountainous cities: A case study in Chongqing, China. Ecological Indicators, 81, 132-145. IF: 3.898 (2016), 4.524(5yrs)
18. Wu, Yizhou, Fan, Peilei, Li, Bo, Ouyang, Zutao, Liu, Yong, & You, Heyuan (2017). The Effectiveness of Planning Control on Urban Growth: Evidence from Hangzhou, China. Sustainability, 9(5), 855-79. IF: 1.789 (2016), 1.850 (5yrs)
19. *Wu, Susie R., Kim, Suk-Kyung, Park, Hoguen, Fan, Peilei, Ligmann-Zielinska, Arika, & Chen, Jiquan. (2017). How do green buildings communicate green design to building users? A Survey study of a LEED-certified building. Journal of Green Building, 12(3), 85-100.
20. Messina, Joseph P. Suepa, Tanita, Snapp, Sieglinde, Olson, Jennifer M., Nejadhashemi, Pouyan, Murray, Sarah, Moore, Nathan, Frake, April N., Fan, Peilei, and Adhikari, Umesh. (2017). Food System Resilience and Sustainability in Cambodia. International Journal of Applied Geospatial Research. 8(3), 53-75.
21. Fan, Peilei, Chen, Jiquan, John,Ranjeet. (2016). Urbanization and environmental change during the economic transition on the Mongolian Plateau: Hohhot and Ulaanbaatar. Environmental Research 144: 96–112. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.envres.2015.09.020i IF: 3.835 (2016), 4.315 (5yrs)
22. *Ouyang, Zutao, Fan, Peilei, Chen, Jiquan. (2016). Urban built-up areas in transitional economies of Southeast Asia: spatial extent and dynamics. Remote Sensing 2016(8), 819-38. doi:10.3390/rs8100819 IF: 3.244 (2016), 3.749 (5yrs)
23. *Wu, Susei R., Fan, Peilei, & Chen, Jiquan. (2016). Incorporating Culture Into Sustainable Development: A Cultural Sustainability Index Framework for Green Buildings. Sustainable Development 24(1), 64-76. DOI: 10.1002/sd.1608. IF: 2.167 (2016)
24. Liu, Yong, Yue, Wenze, Fan, Peilei, Peng, Yi, & Zhang, Zhengtao. (2016). Financing China's Suburbanization: Capital Accumulation through Suburban Land Development in Hangzhou. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, 40(6), 1112-1133. IF: 2.181 (2016)
25. *Hu, Shuhong, Huang, Li, Fan, Peilei, Xiao, Gang. (2016). Spatial Spillover Effects of Innovative Outputs of University and Its Impacts on Regional Economic Growth of China: Based on Spatial Econometrics Analysis of Provincial Data. Scientia Geographica Sinica, 2016,36 (12),1767-1776. (in Chinese) doi: 10.13249/j.cnki.sgs.2016.12.001
26. Chen, Jiquan, Zhu, Liuyan, Fan, Peilei, Tian, Li & Lafortezza, Rafaela. (2016). Do green spaces affect the spatiotemporal changes of PM2.5 in Nanjing? Ecological Process 2016 5:7. DOI 10.1186/s13717-016-0052-6
27. *Chen, Chaofan, Han, Jing, & Fan, Peilei. (2016). Measuring the Level of Industrial Green Development and Exploring Its Influencing Factors: Empirical Evidence from China’s 30 Provinces. Sustainability, 8(2), 153-172. IF: 1.789 (2016), 1.850 (5yrs)
28. Xie, Yaowen, Wang, Guisheng, Wang, Xueqiang, & Fan, Peilei. (2016). Assessing the evolution of oases in arid regions by reconstructing their historic spatio-temporal distribution: a case study of the Heihe River Basin, China. Frontiers of Earth Science, 1-14. doi:10.1007/s11707-016-0607-y IF: 1.051 (2016), 1.058 (5yrs)
29. Fan, Peilei. (2015). Producing and consuming urban planning exhibition halls in Contemporary China. Urban Studies 52(15): 2890-2905. DOI: 10.1177/0042098014536627 IF: 2.364 (2016)
30. Liu, Yong, Yue, Wenze, Fan, Peilei, & Song, Yan. 2015. Suburban residential development in the era of market-oriented land reform: The case of Hangzhou, China. Land Use Policy, 42, 233-243. IF: 3.089 (2016), 3.527 (5yrs)
31. Zhang, Yaoqi, Zheng, Bin, Sun, Ge, and Fan, Peilei. 2015. The American lawn revisited: Awareness education and culture as public choices towards sustainable lawn. Problems of Sustainable Development. 10(1), 107-115. IF: 0.804 (2014)
32. *Wu, Susie R., Chen, Jiquan, Apul, Defne, Fan, Peilei, Yan, Yanfa, Fan, Yi, & Zhou, Peiling. 2015. Causality in social life cycle impact assessment (SLCIA). The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 20, 1312-1323. IF: 3.988 (2014/15)
33. Hao, Lu, Sun, Ge, Liu, Yongqiang, Wan, Jihong, Qin, Mengsheng, Qian, Hong, Liu, Chong, Zheng, Jiangkun, John, Ranjeet, Fan, Peilei, & Chen, Jiquan. 2015. Urbanization dramatically altered the water balances of a paddy field-dominated basin in southern China. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 19, 3319-333. IF: 3.535 (2014/15), 4.292 (5 yrs)
34. Fan, Peilei, Yaowen Xie, Jiaguo Qi, Jiquan Chen, and Huiqing Huang. 2014. Vulnerability of the coupled natural and human systems in a changing environment: the evolution of Lanzhou’s urban landscape. Landscape Ecology 29(10), 1709-1723. DOI 10.1007/s10980-014-0061-8. IF: 3.615 (2016/17) 4.111 (5yrs)
35. Fan, Peilei. 2014. Innovation in China. Journal of Economic Survey. 28(4) 725-745. doi: 10.1111/joes.12083 IF: 2.1 (2016)
36. Yue, Wenze, Fan, Peilei, Wei, Yehua, and Qi, Jiaguo. 2014. Economic development, urban expansion, and sustainable development in Shanghai. Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment 2014(28): 783-799. DOI 10.1007/s00477-012-0623-8 (SCI) IF: 2.237 (2015)
37. Santos-Paulino, Amelia, Squicciarini, Mariagrazia, and Fan, Peilei. 2014. Foreign Direct Investment, Research and Development Mobility and the New Economic Geography: A Survey. The World Economy. 37(12):1692-1715. doi: 10.1111/twec.12208 IF: 0.933 (2016)
38. *Zhang, Lin-lin, Yue, Wenze, and Fan, Peilei. 2014. Measuring urban sprawl in large Chinese cities: A case study of Hangzhou. Scientia Geographica Sinica 34(4):394-400. (in Chinese)
39. Yue, Wenze, Liu, Yong, and Fan, Peilei. 2013. Measuring urban sprawl in large Chinese cities: the case of Hangzhou. Land Use Policy 31: 358-370. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.landusepol.2012.07.018 (SSCI) IF: 3.089 (2016) 3.527 (5yrs)
40. Yue, Wenze, Wang, Ruiliang, and Fan, Peilei. 2013. Spatial pattern analysis of urban expansion in Hangzhou city. Journal of Zhejiang University (Science Edition) 40(5): 596-605. DOI: 10.3785/j.issn.1008-9497.2013.05.023 (in Chinese)
41. Fan, Peilei, Wan, Guanghua, and Lu, Ming. 2012. China’s regional inequality in innovation capability, 1995-2006. China and World Economy 20 (3): 16-36. doi: 10.1111/j.1749-124X.2012.01285.x (SSCI)
42. Yue, Wenze, Liu, Yong, and Fan, Peilei, Ye, Xinyue, Wu, Cifang. 2012. Assessing spatial pattern of urban thermal environment in Shanghai, China. Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment 26: 899-911. DOI 10.1007/s00477-012-0638-1 (SCI) IF: 2.629 (2016)
43. Fan, Peilei. 2011. Innovation, globalization, and catch-up of latecomers: cases of Chinese telecom firms. Environment and Planning A 43(4): 830-849. (SSCI) IF: 2.80 (2010)
44. Fan, Peilei. 2011. China and India: innovation capability and economic development. Economic Change and Restructuring 44 (1-2): 49-73. doi: 10.1007/s10644-010-9088-2 IF: 1.38 (2011)
45. Liu, Yong, Yue, Wenze, and Fan, Peilei. 2011. Spatial determinants of urban land conversion in large Chinese cities: a case of Hangzhou. Environment and Planning B 38: 706-725. (SSCI)
46. Fan, Peilei. 2010. Developing innovation-oriented strategies and China’s domestic mobile phone companies. International Journal of Technology Management 51(2/3/4): 168-193. (SCI/SSCI) IF: 1.09 (2011)
47. Fan, Peilei and Qi, Jiaguo. 2010. Assessing the sustainability of major cities in China. Sustainability Science Journal 5(1): 51-68. (SCI) IF: 3.429 (2016)
48. Fan, Peilei. 2010. From a latecomer to a global telecom giant: the development path of Huawei. International Journal of Business System Research 4 (5/6): 691-719.
49. Fan, Peilei. 2010. Catching up through staged development and innovation: the case of Chinese telecom companies. Journal of Science and Technology Policy of China 1 (1): 64 -91. IF: 1.35 (2009)
50. Yue, Wenze, Liu, Yong, and Fan, Peilei. 2010. Polycentric urban development: the case of Hangzhou. Environment and Planning A 42 (3) 563 – 577. doi:10.1068/a42116 (SSCI) IF: 2.80 (2010)
51. Wan, Guanghua, Fan, Peilei, and Lu, Ming. 2010. Accounting for innovation inequality in China: a regression-based decomposition approach. World Economy 2010 (2): 3-14 (in Chinese).
52. Fan, Peilei and Watanabe, Kazuo. 2008. The rise of the Indian biotech industry and innovative domestic companies. International Journal of Technology and Globalization 4(2): 148-169.
53. Fan, Peilei, Gao, Xudong and Watanabe, Kazuo. 2007. Technology strategies of innovative Chinese domestic companies. International Journal of Technology and Globalization 3(4): 344-363.
54. Fan, Peilei. 2006. Promoting indigenous capability: The Chinese government and the catching-up of domestic telecom-equipment firms. China Review 6(1): 9-35. (SCI)
55. Fan, Peilei. 2006. Catching up through developing innovation capability: Evidence from China’s telecom-equipment industry. Technovation 26(3): 359-68. (SCI/SSCI) IF: 3.265 (2016) 4.822 (5yrs)
56. Fan, Peilei and Watanabe, Chihiro. 2006. Promoting industrial development through technology policy: Lessons from Japan and China. Technology in Society 28(3): 303-320.
57. Fan, Peilei. 2006. Comparative analysis of high-tech parks in Beijing and Shanghai. Journal of Nanjing University (Nature Science) 42(3): 242-256.
1. Fan, Peilei. 2018. Innovation and learning of latecomers: A case study of Chinese Telecom-equipment companies. In Nathan, Dev, Tewari, Meenu, Sarkar, Sandip (eds) Development with Global Value Chains. Cambridge: Cambridge University.
2. Sun, Yifei and Fan, Peilei. 2017. Technology Spillover. In D. Richardson, N. Castreee, M.F., Goodchild, A. Kobayashi, W. Liu, R. Marston (eds). The International Encyclopedia of Geography. Wiley and the American Association of Geographers (AAG). DOI: 10.1002/9781118786352.wbieg0654
3. Fan, Peilei and Gao, Xudong. 2016. Catching up and developing innovation capabilities in China’s telecommunication equipment Industry. In Zhou, Yu, William Lazonick, Yifei Sun (eds) China as an Innovation Nation. Chapter 8, pp. 215-239 Oxford: Oxford University.
4. Fan, Peilei. 2015. The role of returnees in developing entrepreneurial ventures in high-tech sectors in China. In Maureen McKelvey and Sharmistha Bagchi-Sen (eds) Navigating Innovation Spaces in Asia. Chapter 9, pp. 167-188. North Hampton, MA: Edward Elgar.
5. Yue, Wenze, Fan, Peilei, Qi, Jiaguo. 2014. Spatio-temporal evolution of urban structure in Shanghai. In Ademola K. Braimoh and He Qing Huang (eds) Vulnerability of Land Systems in Asia. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., pp. 215-234.
6. Corey, Kenneth E., Wilson, Mark I., Fan, Peilei. 2014. Cities, Technology, and Economic Change. In Ronnan Paddison and Tom Hutton (eds) Cities and Economic Change. Chapter 2, pp. 15-37. London: Sage Publications Ltd.
7. Fan, Peilei, Qi, Jiaguo, Chen, Xi, Messina, Joseph, Huang, Huiqing, Li, Xue. 2013. Urban Expansion and Environment Change in Dryland East Asia. In Chen, Jiquan, Shiqiang Wan, Geoff Henebry, Jiaguo Qi, Garik Gutman, Martin Kappas, Ge Sun, eds. Dryland East Asia (DEA): Land Dynamics amid Social and Climate Change. Beijing: Higher Education Press, pp. 81-104.
8. Qi, Jiaguo, Fan, Peilei, and Chen, Xi. 2012. The urban expansion and sustainability challenge of cities in China’s west: the case of Urumqi. In Igor Vojnovic (ed) Urban Sustainability: A Global Perspective. East Lansing, MI: Michigan State University Press, pp. 69-100.
9. Fan, Peilei and Wan, Guanghua. 2009. Innovation capability for economic development: the Chinese experience in the reform era. In Arthur Sweetman and Jun Zhang (eds) Economic Transition with Chinese Characteristics: Thirty years of Reform and Opening Up. Montreal: McGill Queen’s University Press, Volume 1, pp. 99-122. (Book website: http://mqup.mcgill.ca/book.php?bookid=2357)
10. Fan, Peilei and Wan, Guanghua. 2008. China’s regional inequality in innovation capability, 1995-2004. In Guanghua Wan (ed) Inequality and Growth in Modern China. Oxford: Oxford University Press, pp. 144-162. ISBN13: 9780199535194; ISBN10: 0199535191