OST 590: Pre-Clinical Observation, Culture, and Medicine (3 credits)
Summer Break 2016
This program is designed to provide MSU undergraduate students exposure to clinical medicine and health issues related to careers in medicine, public health, or other health professions. It offers learners a basic understanding of clinical practice in a foreign setting while focusing on seven core disciplines: clinical shadowing, culture (two lessons), the history of medicine, introduction to public health, introduction to infectious diseases, cultural competency in healthcare delivery, and introduction to HIV care.
It is the discretion of the Course Director to determine which students may participate. An interview may be required.
For more information, please contact Rusti Sidel of IIH.
- Undergraduate student at Michigan State OR first year medical curriculum (COM/CHM/CON) student at Michigan State University.
- 2.5 GPA required.
- Must have a good understanding of Biology, Microbiology, and Physiology.
- Must have respect for different cultures.
- Must demonstrate an ability to work collaboratively.
- How to Apply
- Please submit IIH's application form to our main office at B-319 West Fee Hall.
- Students must also apply through Michigan State's Office of Study Abroad, click here to apply online.
The Office of Study Abroad offers scholarships to students who participate in MSU's study abroad programs. The deadline is March 1 for summer break programs! Details here.