LANSING 
Board of Water and Light Dye Conditioning Plant 
The Dye Conditioning Plant at 148 South Cedar Street was designed by Lansing architects Lee and Kenneth Black and constructed in 1938-39 by the WPA in a severe, geometric style. It is decorated by WPA/FAP artworks in various media. Appropriate to the building's function, the theme of all of these works is water. This is the best local ensemble of government-sponsored art planned as a unity of architecture, sculpture and painting. To gain access to the building or to arrange a tour call (517) 371-6521. 
  
Aquarius, by Samuel Cashwan, 1938-39 
  Samuel Cashwan's 32-foot stylized Aquarius rises above the geometric Art Deco Cedar Street entrance. Water pours down from the figure's urn to two small infants symbolizing the distribution of water to the city of Lansing. Inside, the grand two-story lobby houses a ceramic fountain by Clivia Calder. This sculptural group shows two girls grooming themselves. The flanking stairs with streamlined metal railings are graceful interpretations of machines, also found elsewhere in the plant. 
  
Mural, Water As Destructive Element
by Frank Cassara, 1940 

 

On the upper level are three large murals. Frank Cassara was responsible for the two side panels. Water as Destructive Element (on the right) depicts flooding and Beneficial Force of Water (on the left) shows water's advantages for health, cleanliness and recreation. Charles Pollock's 1941 mural in the center shows man's control over nature and the importance of Water as Hydro-electric Power. The figures represent agriculture and industry, and the use of plastics and agricultural chemistry, referring to the research and work activities undertaken in this building.