Michigan State University
Michigan State University
Undergraduate Research Fellow
Idaho National Laboratory
1998-2002: B. S.
Biological Systems Engineering,
University of Idaho
1. Stedtfeld, R.D., Tourlousse, D.M.,
Seyrig, G., Stedtfeld, T.M., Kronlein, M., Price, S., Ahmad, F.,
Erdogan, G., Tiedje, J.M., Hashsham, S.A. Gene-Z: A Device for Point of
Care Genetic Testing using a Smartphone. Lab on a Chip, Feb 2012 Accepted Manuscript. DOI: 10.1039/C2LC21226A.
2. Looft,T., Johnson, T.A., Allen, H.K., Bayles, D.O., Alt, D.P., Stedtfeld, R.D.,
Sul, W.J., Stedtfeld, T.M.,Chai, B., Cole, J.R., Hashshamb, S.A.,
Tiedje, J.M., Stanton, T.B. In-feed antibiotic effects on the
swine intestinal microbiome. PNAS Jan 2012 Accepted Manuscript. DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1120238109.
3. Ahmad, F., Seyrig, G., Tourlousse, D.M., Stedtfeld, R.D.,
Tiedje, J.M., Hashsham, S.A. A CCD-based fluorescence imaging
system for real-time loop-mediated isothermal amplification-based rapid
and sensitive detection of waterborne pathogens on microchips. Biomed Microdevices. 2011 Oct;13(5):929-37.
4. Stedtfeld, R.D., Baushke, S.W., Miller, S.M., Tourlousse, D.M., Stedtfeld, T.M., Gulari, E., Tiedje, J.M. Hashsham, S.A., Development
and experimental validation of a predictive threshold cycle (Ct)
equation for quantification of virulence and marker genes. 2008. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. Vol. 74(12): 3831-3838.
5. Pozhitkov, A.E., Rule, R.A., Stedtfeld, R.D.,
Hashsham, S.A., Noble P.A. Concentration dependency of
nonequilibrium thermal dissociation curves in complex target samples.
2008. Journal of Microbiological Methods. 74(2-3): 82-8.
6. Stedtfeld, R.D., Wick, L., Baushke, S.M.,
Tourlousse, D.M. Herzog, Xia, Y., Klappenbach J., Rouillard, J.-M., Cole
J., Gulari, E. Tiedje, J. Hashsham, S.A., 2007. Influence of dangling
end and surface proximal tail of targets on probe- target duplex
formation in 16S rRNA gene-based diagnostic arrays. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 73(2): 380-389.
7. Stedtfeld, R.D. Tourlousse, D.M., Baushke,
S.W., Chai, B., Cole, J.R., and Hashsham, S.A., 2007. Multiplex Approach
for Screening Genetic Markers of Microbial Indicators. Water Environment Research. 79(3): 260-269.
8. Tourlousse, D.M., Stedtfeld, R.D,
Baushke, S.W., Wick, L.M., and Hashsham. S.A., 2007. Virulence
Factor Activity Relationships (VFAR): Challenges and Development
Approaches. Water Environment Research. 79(3): 246-259.
9. Pozhitkov, A.E., Stedtfeld, R.D., Hashsham,
S.A., and Noble. P.A. 2007. Revision of the Nonequilibrium Dissociation
Approach For Identifying Mixed Microbial Communities Using
Oligonucleotide DNA Arrays. Nucleic Acid Research. 35(9): e70.
10. Stedtfeld, R.D., Tourlousse, D.M., Seyrig,
G., Alm, E.W., and Hashsham, S.A. 2007. Detection and occurrence of
indicator organisms and pathogens. Water Environment Research. 24: 1085-1108.
11. Miller, S.M., Tourlousse, D.M., Stedtfeld, R.D., Baushke, S.W., Herzog, A.B., Wick, L.M., Rouillard, J.M., Gulari, E., Tiedje, J.M. and Hashsham, S.A. 2008. An In Situ Synthesized Virulence and Marker Genes (VMG) Biochip for Detection of Waterborne Pathogens. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 74: 2200-2209.
12. Stedtfeld, R.D. Duran, M., Alm, E.W., and Hashsham, S.A. 2006. Detection and occurrence of indicator organisms and pathogens. Water Environment Research. 78(10) 1054-1077: 2006.
13. Stoner, D. L., S. M. Watson, R. D. Stedtfeld,
P. Meakin, L. M. Pegram, T. L. Tyler, L. K. Griffel, J. M. Barnes, and
V. A. Deason. 2005. Application of stereolithographic custom models for
studying the impact of biofilms and mineral precipitation on fluid flow.
Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 71(12):8721-8.
14. Stedtfeld, R. D., G. E. McCreery, A. T.
Stadler, D. L. Stoner and P. Meakin. 2005. “Application of a
geocentrifuge and sterolithographically fabricated apertures to
multiphase flow in complex fracture apertures,.” International Journal of Physical Modeling in Geotechnics Vol. 5, No. 3.
15. Duran M., Alm, E.W., Stedtfeld, R.D., Haznedaroglu, B., and Hashsham, S.A.. 2005. Detection and occurrence of indicator organisms and pathogens. Water Environment Research. 77: 659-717: 2005.
16. Hashsham, S.A., Alm, E.W., Stedtfeld, R.D., Traver, R.G., and M. Duran. Detection and occurrence of indicator organisms and pathogens. Water Environment Research. Vol. 75, No. 6. 2004.
17. Stoner, D.L., Stedtfeld, R. D., Tyler, T.
L., White, F.J., McJunkin, Timothy R., and LaViolette, Randall A.
2003. Impact of microorganisms on unsaturated flow at fracture
intersections. Geophysical Research Letter, Vol. 30, No. 18, p 1960.
3. Letter of Disclosure/Patent Applications:
The following two provisional patents have been filed by MSU
based on letters of disclosure related to the same. Both these patents
are critical for commercialization of the DNA biochip that our chip
group has developed.
1. PPA MSU-10877 for MSU 07006: Electroluminescent-Based Fluorescence Detection Device. 2006.
2. PA MSU-10878 for MSU 06018/06020: Simultaneous Detection
of Multiple Waterborne Pathogens High Throughput Screening Using
4. Fellowship, Internship, Awards, Achievements:
· Awarded First place in the 2008 Fitch Beach
Outstanding Graduate Research Competition (Selected by College of
Engineering, award based on CV and technical presentation).
· Awarded the Rory M. Shaw Memorial Fellowship
(Spring 2007). This award recognizes outstanding research
contributions towards a PhD dissertation.
· 2006 Outstanding Environmental Engineering Graduate
Student Award at Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI. Feb. 2006.
· Awarded 2004 Michigan Section AWWA Fellowship for Water Quality and Treatment Study.
· Year-long Internship Recipient with the Idaho
National Engineering Laboratory run by the Department of Energy.
Administered by the Inland Northwest Research Alliance and Washington
State University. 2003.
· Passed the Idaho Fundamental Engineering Exam to become an engineering-intern. Nov. 2002.
· Best student technical paper for “Methanol
Degradation with Biofilteration.” Pacific Northwest-ASAE
conference, Twin Falls, Idaho. Fall 2002.
· First place in one hour engineering design
competition at Pacific Northwest-ASAE conference, Twin Falls,
Idaho. Fall 2002.
· Academic summer fellowship recipient with the Idaho
National Environmental and Engineering Laboratory run by
the Department of Energy, Idaho Falls. Summer
· Best technical presentation for “Methanol
Degradation with Biofiltration.” University of Idaho Engineering
Expo, Moscow, Idaho. Spring 2002.
Robert Stedtfeld, Ph.D.
PostDoctoral Research Associate
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824
Office: A18 Engineering Research Complex