Professor David C. Zhu
David C. Zhu, Ph.D.
846 Service Road
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824
Phone: (517) 884-3345
- Professor of Radiology, Psychology
- and (adjunct) Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Lead of MSU Cognitive Imaging Research Center
- Faculty member of the Cognitive Science Program
- Faculty member of the Neuroscience Program
- Ph.D., Biomedical Engineering, University of California, Davis, December 1999
- Dissertation: Magnetic Resonance Pulse Sequences and Analytical Techniques for Breast Cancer Detection and Cardiovascular Flow.
- M.S., Biomedical Engineering, California State University, Sacramento, August 1996
- Thesis: Odd-Number Hybrid Echo Planar Magnetic Resonance Imaging.
- B.S., Electrical and Electronic Engineering, California State University, Sacramento, May 1996.
- B.A., Molecular & Cell Biology, emphasis: Biochemistry, University of California, Berkeley, May 1992
- One-Day Neuroimaging Introductory Course (Fall 2015)
I started magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) research in 1995 under Dr. Michael Buonocore at University of California Davis when I was in graduate school. I developed high-resolution echo planar imaging, arterial spin labeling and phase contrast pulse sequences, and associated analytical techniques for clinical applications. I joined GE Healthcare in 2000 after I completed my PhD. I worked on various MR methodology developments, including fast spin echo imaging and fast volumetric imaging. I also participated in the development of the new EXCITE MR system. I decided to return to academic research in later 2002. I joined the Brain Research Imaging Center at the University of Chicago as an MRI physicist. I continued my research in MR imaging techniques, specifically, spiral imaging for functional MRI (fMRI) applications, T1 mapping of the brain and the quantification of cerebrospinal fluid dynamics for the study of hydrocephalus. I also expanded my interest to fMRI applications.
I joined the faculty at Michigan State University in 2005. With other faculty members, we developed the Cognitive Imaging Research Center, and I have been supporting its growth in a role of an MRI physicist and the lead of the support team. I am also an MRI physicist for the Departments of Radiology and Psychology. I am currently collaborating with clinical experts to develop MRI techniques to detect and characterize plaques at the carotid artery, with chemists on MR molecular imaging, and with psychologists and neuroscientists to apply fMRI and other neuroimaging methods to study visual cognition, attention, memory, language processing, social cognition, concussion, normal aging and Alzheimer's disease.
Current Imaging Research Focuses
2) Normal aging, Alzheimer's disease (AD), and AD risk reduction (Primary collaborators: Dr. Rong Zhang at UT Southwestern Medical Center and Dr. Andrea Bozoki )
3) MR imaging technique development (Collaborators: Drs. Jie Huang, Tongtong Li and Selin Aviyente)
4) Brain MRI of speech production in normally fluent and stuttering speakers, especially children (Collaborator: Dr. Soo-Eun Chang )
David C. Zhu, J. Kevin DeMarco, Anthony T. Vu. Apparatus and method for detecting and classifying atherosclerotic plaque hemorrhage. US Patent # 7,705,593. Date of award: April 27, 2010.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Publications
60. Caulfield MD, Zhu DC, McAuley JD, Servatius RJ. Cerebellar response to familiar and novel stimuli: an fMRI study. Behavioral Neuroscience. In Press.
59. Wills KM, Liu J, Hakun J, Zhu DC, Hazeltine E, Ravizza SM. Neural mechanisms for the benefits of stimulus-driven attention. Cerebral Cortex. In Press.
58. Bozoki AC, Zdanukiewicz M, Zhu DC, for the Alzheimer's Disease Neuroimaging Initiative. The effect of beta-amyloid positivity on cerebral metabolism in cognitively normal seniors. Alzheimer's & Dementia. In Press.
57. Khan MA, Liu J, Tarumi T, Lawley JS, Liu P, Zhu DC, Lu H, Zhang R. Measurement of cerebral blood flow using phase contrast MRI and duplex ultrasonography. Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow & Metabolism. In Press.
56. Semrud-Clikeman M, Fine JG, Bledsoe J, Zhu DC. Regional volumetric differences based on structural MRI in children with two subtypes of ADHD and controls. Journal of Attention Disorders. In Press.
55. Antonio-Santos AA, Eggenberger ER, Zhu DC. Functional MRI in feigned visual loss. JNBS. 2016; 3(2): 86-88.
54. Liu J, Balu N, Hippe DS, Ferguson MS, Martinez-Malo V, DeMarco JK, Zhu DC, Ota H, Sun J, Xu D, Kerwin WS, Hatsukami TS, Yuan C. Semi-automatic carotid intraplaque hemorrhage detection and quantification on magnetization-prepared rapid acquisition gradient-echo (MP-RAGE) with optimized threshold selection. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson. 2016 Jul 16;18(1):41.
53. Caulfield MD, Zhu DC, McAuley JD, Servatius RJ. Individual differences in resting-state functional connectivity with the executive network: Support for a cerebellar role in anxiety vulnerability. Brain Struct Funct. 2016 Jul;221(6):3081-93.
52. Wang Z, Alahmadi A, Zhu DC, Li T. Causality analysis of fMRI data based on the directed information theory framework. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2016 May;63(5):1002-1015.
51. Gharahi H, Zambrano BA, Zhu DC, DeMarco JK, Baek S. Computational fluid dynamic simulation of human carotid artery bifurcation based on anatomy and volumetric blood flow rate measured with magnetic resonance imaging. Int J Adv Eng Sci Appl Math. 2016 January-March;8(1):46-60.
50. Zhu DC, Tarumi T, Khan MA, Zhang R. Vascular coupling in resting-state fMRI: evidence from multiple modalities. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2015 Dec;35(12):1910-20.
49. Huang J, Zhu DC. Exploring human brain neuronal currents with phase MRI. International Journal of Imaging Systems and Technology. Int J Imaging Syst Technol, 2015;25:172-178.
48. Tangen KM, Hsu Y, Zhu DC, Linninger AA. CNS wide simulation of flow resistance and drug transport due to spinal microanatomy. J Biomech. 2015 Jul 16;48(10):2144-54.
47. Bailes J, Bravo S, Breiter H, Kaufman D, Lu Z, Molfese D, Parrish T, Slobounov S, Talavage T, Zhu D. A call to arms: The need to create an inter-institutional concussion neuroimaging consortium to discover clinically relevant diagnostic biomarkers and develop evidence-based interventions to facilitate recovery. Dev Neuropsychol. 2015 Feb-Mar;40(2):59-62.
46. Tarumi T, de Jong DL, Zhu DC, Tseng BY, Liu J, Hill C, Riley J, Womack KB, Kerwin DR, Lu H, Munro Cullum C, Zhang R. Central artery stiffness, baroreflex sensitivity, and brain white matter neuronal fiber integrity in older adults. Neuroimage. 2015 Jan 24;110:162-170.
45. Chang SE, Zhu DC, Choo AL, Angstadt M. White matter neuroanatomical differences in young children who stutter. Brain. Brain. 2015 Mar;138(Pt 3):694-711.
44. Zhu DC, Covassin T, Nogle S, Doyle S, Russell D, Pearson RL, Monroe J, Liszewski CM, DeMarco JK, Kaufman DI. A potential biomarker in sports-related concussion: brain functional connectivity alteration of the default-mode network measured with longitudinal resting-state fMRI over 30 days. J Neurotrauma. 2015 Mar 1;32(5):327-41.
43. Wang P, Kouyoumdjian H, Zhu DC, Huang X. Heparin nanoparticles for beta amyloid binding and mitigation of beta amyloid associated cytotoxicity. Carbohydr Res. 2015 Mar 20;405:110-4.
42. Langel J, Hakun J, Zhu DC, Ravizza SM. Functional specialization of the left ventral parietal cortex in working memory. Front Hum Neurosci. 2014 Jun 18;8:440.
41. El-Dakdouki MH, El-Boubbou K, Kamat M, Huang R, Abela GS, Kiupel M, Zhu DC, Huang X. CD44 targeting magnetic glyconanoparticles for atherosclerotic plaque imaging. Pharmaceutical Research. Pharm Res. 2014 Jun;31(6):1426-37.
40. Zhu DC, Majumdar S. Integration of resting-state fMRI and diffusion-weighted MRI connectivity analyses of the human brain: limitations and improvement. Journal of Neuroimaging. J Neuroimaging. 2014;24(2):176-86.
39. El-Dakdouki MH, Xia J, Zhu DC, Kavunja H, Grieshaber J, O'Reilly S, McCormick JJ, Huang X. Assessing the in vivo efficacy of doxorubicin loaded hyaluronan nanoparticles. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. 2014;6(1):697-705.
38. Chang S-E, Zhu DC. Neural network connectivity differences in children who stutter. Brain. 2013;136:3709-26.
37. Semrud-Clikeman M, Fine JG, Bledsoe J, Zhu DC. Magnetic resonance imaging volumetric findings in children with Asperger syndrome, nonverbal learning disability, or healthy controls. J Clin Exp Neuropsychol. 2013;35(5):540-50.
36. Kouyoumdjian H, Zhu DC, El-Dakdouki MH, Lorenz K, Chen J, Li W, Huang X. Glyconanoparticle aided detection of beta-amyloid by magnetic resonance imaging and attenuation of beta-amyloid induced cytotoxicity. ACS Chem Neurosci. 2013;4(4):575-84.
35. Zhu DC, Majumdar S, Korolev IO, Berger KL, Bozoki AC. Alzheimer's disease and amnestic mild cognitive impairment weaken connections within the default-mode network: a multi-modal imaging study. J Alzheimers Dis. 2013;34(4):969-84.
34. Ota H, Reeves MJ, Zhu DC, Majid A, Collar A, Yuan C, DeMarco JK. Sex differences of high-risk carotid atherosclerotic plaque with less than 50% stenosis in asymptomatic patients: an in vivo 3T MRI study. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2013;34(5):1049-55.
33. Semrud-Clikeman M, Fine JG, Bledsoe J, Zhu DC. Gender differences in brain activation on a mental rotation task. Int J Neurosci. 2012;122:590-7.
32. Hsu Y, Hettiarachchi HDM, Zhu DC, Linninger AA. The frequency and magnitude of cerebrospinal fluid pulsations influence intrathecal drug distribution - key factors for interpatient variability. Anesthesia & Analgesia. 2012;115:386-394.
31. El-Dakdouki MH, Zhu DC, El-Boubbou K, Kamat M, Chen J, Li W, Huang X. Development of multifunctional hyaluronan coated nanoparticles for imaging and drug delivery to cancer cells. Biomacromolecules. 2012;13:1144-1151.
30. Li H, El-Dakdouki MH, Zhu DC, Abela G, Huang X. Synthesis of b-cyclodextrin conjugated superparamagnetic iron oxide nanoparticles for selective binding and detection of cholesterol crystals. Chem Commun (Camb). 2012;48:3385-7.
29. El-Dakdouki MH, El-Boubbou K, Zhu DC, Huang X. A simple method for the synthesis of hyaluronic acid coated magnetic nanoparticles for highly efficient cell labelling and in vivo imaging. RSC Advances. 2011;1:1449-1452.
28. Husband EM, Kelly LA, Zhu DC. Using complement coercion to understand the neural basis of semantic composition: evidence from an fMRI study. J Cogn Neurosci. 2011;23:3254-66.
27. Henderson JM, Zhu DC, Larson CL. Functions of parahippocampal place area and retrosplenial cortex in real-world scene analysis: An fMRI study. Visual Cognition. 2011;19:910-927.
26. Majumdar S, Zhu DC, Udpa SS. Raguin LG. A diffusion gradient optimization framework for spinal cord diffusion tensor imaging. Magn Reson Imaging. 2011;29:789-804.
25. Liu T, Hospadaruk L, Zhu DC, Gardner JL. Feature-specific attentional priority signals in human cortex. J Neurosci. 2011;31:4484-95.
24. Semrud-Clikeman M, Fine JG, Zhu DC. The role of the right hemisphere for processing of social interactions in normal adults using functional magnetic resonance imaging. Neuropsychobiology. 2011;64:47-51.
23. Ravizza SM, Hazeltine E, Ruiz S, Zhu DC. Left TPJ activity in verbal working memory: Implications for storage- and sensory-specific models of short term memory. Neuroimage. 2011;55:1836-46.
22. Kamat M, El-Boubbou K, Zhu DC, Lansdell T, Lu X, Li W, Huang X. Hyaluronic acid immobilized magnetic nanoparticles for active targeting and imaging of macrophages. Bioconjug Chem. 2010;21(11):2128-2135.
21. Ota H, Reeves MJ, Zhu DC, Majid A, Collar A, Yuan C, DeMarco JK. Sex differences in patients with asymptomatic carotid atherosclerotic plaque: in vivo 3.0-T magnetic resonance study. Stroke. 2010;41(8):1630-5.
20. Zhu DC, Vu AT, Ota H, DeMarco JK. An optimized 3D spoiled gradient recalled echo pulse sequence for hemorrhage assessment using inversion recovery and multiple echoes (3D SHINE) for carotid plaque imaging. Magn Reson Med. 2010;64(5):1341-51.
19. DeMarco JK, Ota H, Underhill HR, Zhu DC, Reeves MJ, Potchen MJ, Majid A, Collar A, Talsma JA, Potru S, Oikawa M, Dong L, Zhao X, Yarnykh VL, Yuan C. MR carotid plaque imaging and contrast-enhanced MR angiography identifies lesions associated with recent ipsilateral thromboembolic symptoms: an in vivo study at 3T. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2010;31(8):1395-402.
18. El-Boubbou K, Zhu DC, Vasileiou C, Borhan B, Prosperi D, Li W, Huang X. Magnetic glyco-nanoparticles: a tool to detect, differentiate, and unlock the glyco-codes of cancer via magnetic resonance imaging. J Am Chem Soc. 2010 Mar 31;132(12):4490-9.
17. Zhu DC, Zacks RT, Slade JM. Brain activation during interference resolution in young and older adults: an fMRI study. Neuroimage. 2010;50:810-817.
16. Ota H, Yarnykh VL, Ferguson MS, Underhill HR, Demarco JK, Zhu DC, Oikawa M, Dong L, Zhao X, Collar A, Hatsukami TS, Yuan C. Carotid intraplaque hemorrhage imaging at 3.0-T MR imaging: comparison of the diagnostic performance of three T1-weighted sequences. Radiology. 2010;254:551-563.
15. Fine JG, Semrud-Clikeman M, Zhu DC. Gender differences in BOLD activation to face photographs and video vignettes. Behav Brain Res. 2009;201:137-146.
14. Larson CL, Aronoff J, Sarinopoulos IC, Zhu DC. Recognizing threat: a simple geometric shape activates neural circuitry for threat detection. J Cogn Neurosci. 2009;21:1523-35.
13. Zhu DC, DeMarco JK, Ferguson MS. An Optimized 3D Inversion Recovery Prepared Fast Spoiled Gradient Recalled Sequence for Carotid Plaque Hemorrhage Imaging at 3.0 T. Magnetic Resonance Imaging. 2008;26:1360-1366.
12. Huang J, Zhu DC. Simultaneous magnetic resonance imaging of diffusion anisotropy and diffusion gradient. Magn Reson Imaging. 2008;26:337-346.
11. Henderson JM, Larson CL, Zhu DC. Full Scenes produce more activation than close-up scenes and scene-diagnostic objects in parahippocampal and retrosplenial cortex: an fMRI study. Brain Cogn. 2008;66:40-49.
10. Henderson JM, Larson CL, Zhu DC. Cortical activation to indoor versus outdoor scenes: an fMRI study. Exp Brain Res. 2007;179:75-84.
9. Linninger AA, Xenos M, Zhu DC, Somayaji MR, Kondapalli S, Penn RD. Cerebrospinal fluid flow in the normal and hydrocephalic human brain. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2007;54:291-302.
8. Zhu DC, Xenos M, Linninger AA and Penn RD. Dynamics of lateral ventricle and cerebrospinal fluid in normal and hydrocephalic brains. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2006;24:756-770.
7. Goldman MB, Heidinger L, Kulkarni K, Zhu DC, Chien A, McLaren DG, Shah J, Coffey CE Jr, Sharif S, Chen E, Uftring SJ, Small SL, Solodkin A, Pilla RS. Changes in the amplitude and timing of the hemodynamic response associated with prepulse inhibition of acoustic startle. Neuroimage. 2006;32:1375-1384.
6. Zhu DC, Penn RD. Full-brain T1 mapping through inversion recovery fast spin echo imaging with time-efficient slice ordering. Magn Reson Med. 2005;54:725-731.
5. Linninger AA, Tsakiris C, Zhu DC, Xenos M, Roycewicz P, Danziger Z, Penn R. Pulsatile cerebrospinal fluid dynamics in the human brain. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2005;52:557-565.
4. Norris CJ, Chen E, Zhu DC, Small SL, Cacioppo JT. The interaction of social and emotional processes in the brain. J Cogn Neurosci. 2004;16:1818-1829.
3. Zhu DC, Buonocore MH. Breast tissue differentiation using arterial spin tagging. Magn Reson Med 2003;50:966-975.
2. Buonocore MH, Zhu DC. Image-based ghost correction for interleaved EPI. Magn Reson Med 2001;45:96-108.
1. Buonocore MH, Zhu DC. High spatial resolution EPI using an odd-number of interleaves. Magn Reson Med 1999;41:1199-1205.
Peer-Reviewed Conference Full Papers2. Wang Z, Alahmadi A, Zhu DC, Li T. Brain functional connectivity analysis using mutual information. IEEE Global Conference on Signal & Information Processing. December 14-16, 2015, Orlando, FL.
1. Villafane-Delgado M, Zhu DC, Aviyente S. Computation of resting state networks from fMRI through a measure of phase synchrony. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2014 Aug;2014:1456-9.