Skip navigation links

FAQs on MSU and Marijuana (Nov. 6, 2018)

What is Proposal 1?
Statewide Ballot Proposal 18-1 creates the Michigan Regulation and Taxation of Marihuana Act, a law that allows the personal possession and use of marijuana by individuals 21 years and older. It also permits the taxation of revenue from commercial marijuana and industrial hemp facilities and creates the framework for how the government will administer and enforce the legislation.

On Nov. 6, 2018, Michigan voted to approve this law. You can read the full text of the proposal here.

When does it take effect?
Michigan’s Constitution states that approved initiatives “take effect 10 days after the date of the official declaration of the vote.” That doesn’t happen until the election is certified by the Board of State Canvassers, a process that usually takes about three weeks. That means the new law could take effect in early December 2018.

Does that mean I can now use marijuana on campus? 
No.  Students, employees and visitors may not use or possess marijuana on any MSU-governed property or during off-campus MSU business or events.  

Marijuana use remains illegal and fully criminalized according to federal law, and MSU is subject to the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988 and the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act Amendment of 1989.

Additionally, the MSU Drug and Alcohol Policy prohibits the unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensation, possession, or use of controlled substances, illicit drugs or alcohol on property governed by the Board of Trustees and at any site where university work is performed.

Those found in violation of university policies or federal laws prohibiting the use or possession of illegal drugs on campus are subject to legal and disciplinary action.

Relevant policies:

 Additional questions? Contact:

  • Questions related to non-academic staff and units: Office of Employee Relations at (517) 353-5510 or
  • Questions related to academic staff: Academic Human Resources at (517) 353-5300
  • Questions related to students: Student Affairs and Services at (517) 355-7535 or